A recipe from Stephen Markwick
Ingredients for the main dish
- 2 large aubergines
- 100 g onions (chopped)
- 1 -2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 100 g button mushrooms (diced)
- 150 g artichoke hearts (diced)
- 25 g pine nuts (toasted)
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon (for zest and juice)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Pinch of thyme or marjoram (optional)
- 50 g parmesan or cheddar grated
- Vegetable Oil for brushing
Ingredients for the tomato sauce
- 800g fresh tomatoes chopped roughly or 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic chopped small
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- Handful of parsley and basil – fresh or dried
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Slice the aubergine thinly lengthways and keep both ends for adding to the filling.
- For 4 servings, you need 8 slices i.e. 2 slices per person
- Brush the slices of aubergine with oil and put on a baking tray. Either grill them or bake in an oven at 190° C / Gas Mk 5 for 30 – 35 minutes until cooked and slightly charred. (The grill is a better option)
For the filling:
- Sweat the onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add the diced mushrooms and aubergine ends with a little more oil and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the diced artichoke hearts, herbs if using, breadcrumbs and the zest of the lemon and mix well.
- Finally add the toasted pine nuts and check the seasoning, adding salt, pepper and lemon juice as necessary.
- Bind the mixture with the beaten egg
- Now lay out the slices of aubergine and spread a layer of the mixture on top. Then roll up each slice of aubergine.
- Place the filled aubergines in an oven-proof dish and then spoon the tomato sauce over and around.
- Top with the grated cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 180°C / Gas Mk 4.
For the Tomato Sauce
- Sweat the chopped onion, carrot and celery in the oil until soft for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook a little more before adding the tomatoes, tomato purée and herbs,
- Cook for a further 10- 15 minutes.
- Check the seasonings and adjust as required.
- Pass everything through a food mill or use a blender for a smoother sauce.
Serve the filled aubergines with a salad and either rice or potatoes