A recipe from Stephen Markwick
Serves 6 – 8
- 2 medium aubergines
- 1-2 tsp tasted ground cumin seeds
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp light tahini paste
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-5 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Brush the aubergines with oil and cook them on a grill or griddle, turning them regularly so that they char evenly.
- If you do not have either, roast them in the oven at 200°C, Gas Mk4 for approximately 20-25 minutes until soft and gooey inside, turning them halfway through.
- Leave the aubergines until cool enough to handle, then cut them in half and scrape out the flesh. Put into a sieve for a couple of minutes to drain off the excess liquid.
- Next, lightly toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan until they begin to turn dark brown. Cool for 10 minutes then grind with a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder.
- Put the aubergine flesh into a food processor with the chopped garlic, roasted ground cumin, tahini paste, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, salt and pepper and blend.
- Add a couple of splashes of olive oil and whizz until smooth. Add a little more olive oil if you need it to get the right consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.